.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Indie Spinner Rack Issue #188

The Great Debate: Who would you put on the Mount Rushmore of Indie Comics? Charlito sits down with guests Lonnie MF Allen and Scorpio Steele to discuss and justify their choices! Choosing the judging criteria is as difficult as choosing the creators! Who will make the cut?

This issue is sponsored by:


Blogger Carrie said...

Oh man, this is too hard. As the episode states, you'd have to have a monument for writers, artists, publishers...

"Is there a woman...?--Charlito
I think this inability to think of a woman that belongs on your Rushmore, and the concept that you'd add a token spot for one, pretty much speaks to the dearth of "important" female creators and the annoying persistence of the whole "women in comics" thing. Three knowledgeable guys, lots of masturbation jokes when the topic of female creator/characters come up. I know if I were Wendy Pini, I'd love to be on your show and hear how hot I was!

Bikinis and Barcardi, aside, I enjoyed the publisher discussion best. But damn, hell if I could do my own creator Rushmore.

11:42 AM

Blogger Grimalkin Press said...

Annie Koyama, Eleanor Davis, Guy Davis, Moebius,

7:57 PM

Blogger Lonnie Allen said...

Carrie, there are so many great female cartoonists that come to mind: Linda Berry, Trina Robbins, Debbie Dreshler, Julie Doucet, Marjane Saraptje, Aline Kominsky, Julie Wertz, Jessica Abel just to name a few. But it is really difficult thing as you pointed out to cast a Rushmore. If anything, it's indicative of the exclusivity of the business in the early days. While I'll make no apologies about masturbation jokes, I will make one if I gave off the impression that female creators are not as important or good as male ones. I would unequivocally say that that is not true. So my apologies.

3:53 PM

Blogger Matthew Jeske said...

So, of course, I have a comment about "who you left out"...

From your creator Mount Rushmore, I would suggest adding Alan Moore and
Harvey Pekar. (well, and Los Bros Hernandez, but they did get mentioned) I'd argue that Alan Moore giving up on the big 2 (and never really coming back) and deciding to only to do indie comics, is a huge deal. For the publisher Rushmore I would suggest the publisher behind Heavy Metal. It introduced a whole new kind of comics to a lot of people, and it also provided a haven fro underground-ish artist like Richard Corben. On top of that, they had a lot more commercial success at the time than Raw did.

11:23 PM

Blogger Frank R said...

This was a phenomenal episode. I liked the way you evaluated the people/publishers based on historical *and* current relevance. Great discussion! ISR!

6:23 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home